How We Began | Over 40 Years of Success
Centers of Learning school was founded by the Church of the Living Word, born out of a vision of the church’s founder, John Robert Stevens, that children be taught in an atmosphere of love, faith, and impartation.
Started in 1974 with only a handful of students, it didn’t take long for Centers of Learning to grow. Classes were held at the Church of the Living Word facility until 1997 when the first phase of the current school building was completed and dedicated in Stevens’ honor.
Today, our students come from many communities and diverse backgrounds.
Core Values That Nurture an Environment for Learning
As a school founded upon Christian principles, our core values include acceptance, humility, and compassion that foster a learning environment that is loving, family-oriented and allows students to flourish academically, socially, and spiritually.
Program and Curriculum | Cultivating Each Student’s Unique Gifts
We offer a program of academic excellence that is relevant, character-building, creative, collaborative, and which nurtures each student’s unique gifts and talents.
School Campus | A Safe and Beautiful Environment for Learning
Centers of Learning is situated on a secure, safe, and beautiful campus, featuring a soccer field, running track, swimming pool, and basketball and volleyball courts. In addition, the campus offers courtyard areas where students can study or eat lunch. Our music room is equipped for instruments and choir, as well as dance. Campus expansion plans include a library, a performing arts facility, and additional classrooms.
Centers of Learning is accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
- Create a family atmosphere of mutual love, concern, respect and acceptance, where meaningful relationships with peers, teachers and other adults are developed.
- Foster critical thinking and inquiry and provide experiences where knowledge gained is also applied.
- Provide a balanced program: spiritual, academic and physical.
- Set high academic expectations in an atmosphere of acceptance for each child and help identify his/her areas of uniqueness and strength.
- Help students develop good study habits and self-discipline.
- Create an atmosphere of openness, of excitement, of discovery, of possibilities, and of a love for learning which can last a lifetime.
- Take advantage of the surrounding community’s services and resources to enrich what Centers of Learning is able to provide.
- Create a balance between discipline and creative freedom.
- Teach responsibility for the family, for the church, for the school, and for the community.
- Produce men and women of God.
School traditions are an important part of campus life. A special aspect of our traditions involves the celebration of annual Biblical feasts such as Tabernacles, Passover, and Purim. In addition, we champion school traditions which nurture school spirit, such as: morning flag salute, recognition of students’ birthdays, school fundraising activities, student council elections, Spirit Days, annual Thanksgiving celebration and alumni football game, annual Elementary Musical, and student council activities and dances.
Hot Lunch Program
Centers of Learning provides students with the opportunity to purchase a catered nutritious daily hot lunch. For more information, please contact the school office.
As part of Centers of Learning’s mission to provide an atmosphere where lifelong relationships are established, many of our alumni still maintain close contact with us, even though they are busy pursuing varied careers and educational goals. We hold Alumni Nights at which our past graduates welcome the new graduating class into their ranks. Such times allow past and present students to strengthen their relationships, share experiences, and honor the new graduates. Our alumni are a strong force in creating the curriculum through their input, guest speaking visits, and continued support of Centers of Learning.